MBBS, FRCS (Gen Surg)(Glas), FRCS (Gen Surg)(Ed), FAMS
Specialty: Surgery ＆ Surgical Oncology, General Surgery
Sub-specialties: Breast, Surgical Oncology, Breast Surgery
Conditions Treated by this Doctor:
Dr Yong Wei Sean graduated from NUS and subsequently trained in general surgery, obtaining FRCS in 1997. He developed a special interest in breast surgical oncology and did a fellowship in Toronto, Canada in 2002/03.
Dr Yong is currently practicing breast and general surgery, performing diagnostic breast biopsies, therapeutic breast cancer surgery including skin sparing mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy. He also has interest in sentinel node biopsy for melanoma.
(A) Academic / Clinical Awards 2021 Long Service Medal (NCCS) 2020 Singapore Health Quality Service Awards 2020 2019 Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence in AY2018/2019 2018 Singapore Health Quality Service Awards 2018, Star Award 2016 NUS Special Recognition Award: Role Model to Medical Graduating Class of 2016 2014 Long Service Award (NCCS) – 20 years 2012-13 Best Tutor for Surgery (SGH) 2011-12NUS Certificate of Award: Best Tutor for Surgery (SGH) 2010Service With a Heart Award (SGH) 2008 Singapore Medical Journal: 2008 Recognition Award for Reviewing with Distinction 2008Excellent Service Award (GOLD) 2007/ 2008 Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence for Academic Year (NUS) 2007Singapore Medical Journal: 2007 Recognition Award for Reviewing with Distinction 2007HealthCare Humanity Award 2005Sir James Fraser Travelling Fellowship (RCS Edinburgh) 2005Minister for Health Award, Tsunami Relief, Indonesia 2002/3HMDP (Ministry of Health) 1986-1987 ASEAN scholar (B) Others AM Lead 3rd Cohort 2017/18 HaPEE 4 modules (2016 – 2018)
1. Y Ng, V Tan, Wan SP, J Chang, Sim YR, Ong KW, Yong WS, P Madhukumar, Wong CY, Ong YS, Tan BK, B Tan. Surgical and oncological safety of nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population. Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer 2018 Sep 14.
2. Sim Y, Tan VKM, Sidek NAB, Chia DKA, Tan BKT, Madhukumar P., Yong WS, Ong KW. Bilateral breast cancers in an Asian population, and a comparison between synchronous and metachronous tumours. ANZ J Surg 2018 Oct; 88(10): 982 – 9873. Hamzah JLB, Tan BKT, Tan VK, Madhukumar P, Lim SZ, Sim Y, Yong WS, Lee ZJ, Ong KW. A pilot study comparing Sentimag/Sienna versus standard modality for sentinel lymph node identification in patients with breast cancer. The Breast Journal Oct 2019 DOI: 10.1111/tbj.136604. Nasir NDM , Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Wong SF, Liu W, Ng GXP, Lee JY, Guan P, Lim JQ, Thike AA, Koh VCY, Loke BN, Chang KTE, Gudi MA, Lian DWQ, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Tan VK, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ho GH, Ong KW. Genomic characterisation of breast fibroepithelial lesions in an international cohort. International Fibroepithelial Consortium, Patrick Tan P, The BT, Tan PH. Journal of Pathology DOI: 10.1002/path.5333
5. Loke SY, P Munusamy, Koh GL, Chan CHT, P Madhukumar, Thung JL, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Yong WS, Sim Y, Oey CL, Lim SZ, Chan PMY, Ho JTS, Khoo JBK, Wong JSL, Thng CH, Chong BK, Tan EY, Tan VKM, Lee ASG. A circulating miRNA signature for stratification of breast lesions among women with abnormal screening mammograms (Manuscript). MDPI Cancers 20196. Impact of hormonal status on ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: Outcome and prognostic factors. Tay THC, Ng WY, Ong KW, Wong CY, Tan BKT, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Tan VKM, Lim SZ, Sim Y Breast J. 2020; 26: 937– 945. https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.137387. Hamzah JL, Tan BKT, Tan VKM, Preetha M, Lim SZ, Sim YR, Yong WS, Lee ZJ, Ong KW. A Pilot Study Comparing Sentimag/Sienna Versus Standard Modality for Sentinel Lymph Node Identification in Patients With Breast Cancer. Breast J. 2020 May; 26(5): 1074-1077 doi: 10.1111/tbj 136608. CCY Ng,D Nasir, BN Loke, TKY Tay, AA Thike, V Rajasegaran, W Liu, JY Lee, P Guan, AH Lim, KTE C, MA Gudi, P Madhukumar, BKT Tan, VKM Tan, CY Wong, WS Yong, GH Ho, KW Ong, International Fibroepithelial Consortium, GWC Yip, BH Bay, P Tan, BT Teh, PH Tan. Genetic differences between benign phyllodes tumors and fibroadenomas revealed through targeted next generation sequencing. Modern Pathology. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41379-021-00787-w
9. Lim SZ, Kusumawidjaja G, Mohd Ishak HM, Tan BKT, Tan SY, Hamzah JL, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Sim Y, Lim GH, Lim SH, Tan SM, Wong FY, Tan VKM. Outcomes of Stage I and II Breast Cancer with Nodal Micrometastases Treated with Mastectomy without Axillary Therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2021 Oct;189(3):837-843. doi: 10.1007/s10549-021-06341-1. Epub 2021 Aug 3.
10. Choo PZQ, Loh AHL, Selvarajan S, Tan PH, Tan VKM, Yong WS, Leong LCH. Breast-related extranodal Rosai-Dorfman disease presenting as subcutaneous masses with thick hyperechoic rim, with review of the literature. Breast J. 2021 Aug 31. doi: 10.1111/tbj.14286. Epub ahead of print.11. Loo SY, Toh LP, Xie WH, Pathak E, Tan W, Ma S, Lee MY, Shatishwaran S, Yeo JZZ, Yuan J, Ho YY, Peh EKL, Muniandy M, Torta F, Chan J, Tan TJ, Sim Y, Tan V, Tan B, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Ong KW, Wong CY, Tan PH, Yap YS, Deng LW, Dent R, Foo R, Wenk MR, Lee SC, Ho YS, Lim EH, Tam WL. Fatty acid oxidation is a druggable gateway regulating cellular plasticity for driving metastasis in breast cancer. Sci Adv. 2021 Oct 8;7(41):eabh2443. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abh2443. Epub 2021 Oct 6.
12. Chiam M, Ho CY, Quah E, Chua KZY, Ng CWH, Lim EG, Tan JRM, Wong RSM, Ong YT, Soong YL, Kwek JW, Yong WS, Loh KWJ, Lim C, Mason S, Krishna LKR. Changing self-concept in the time of COVID-19: a close look at physician reflections on social media. Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2022 Jan 26;17(1):1. doi: 10.1186/s13010-021-00113-x. PMID: 35078488; PMCID: PMC8789479.13. Bong TSH, Tan JKT, Ho JTS, Tan PH, Lau WS, Tan TM, Wong JSL, Tan VKM, Tan BKT, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Lim SZ, Wong CY, Ong KW, Sim Y. Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia of the Breast on Core Needle Biopsy: Risk of Malignant Upgrade on Surgical Excision. J Breast Cancer. 2022 Feb;25(1):37-48. doi: 10.4048/jbc.2022.25.e7. PMID: 35199500; PMCID: PMC8876544.14. Lim JT, Koh JJE, Ho PJ, Liu J, Lim SH, Tan EY, Tan BKT, Tan VKM, Tan SM, Yong WS, Hartman M, Chen C. Impact of Subsidy on the Use of Personalized Medicine in Breast Cancer. Value Health Reg Issues. 2022 Jan 29;29:108-115. doi: 10.1016/j.vhri.2021.10.002. Epub ahead of print.15. Sim Y, Lim C, Phyu N, Tan KTB, Chew LST, Wong CY, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Lim SZ, Hamzah JLB, Tan SY, Chay WY, Wong FY, Tan PH and Tan VKM. The Impact of Statin Use and Breast Cancer Recurrence - A Retrospective Study in Singapore. Front. Oncol. 12:835320. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2022.835320
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...
11 Hospital Crescent, Singapore 169610 +65 6436 8000